Sunday, September 28, 2008

thoughts after first 2 weeks

I began the course with some uneasiness: I was never good at theory and proofs, so I believed that I preferred programming, rather than theory. It's also been a few years since I took csc165 and mat137, so I have not been doing rigorous proofs for a while.

We started with simple induction. In mat137 I was never really convinced that induction works. I just followed the general format without digging really deeply. So I didn't really understanding it fully, and naturally I didn't really believe that it works.

Somehow, after the way it was explained in 236, it just clicked. I think the "training" I had before, plus the way it is explained in lecture just made it click. This understanding made me feel really good. The way Danny explained the intuitive method of partitioning in the induction step was also very clear and very helpful.

Surprisingly, I actually enjoyed the process of working through problem set 1. It really solidified my understanding of PSI, and I got a pretty good grade for it :)

I have to say, after working through PS1, PS2, A1 (I've finished them all), I'm really starting to like theory.

1 comment:

Danny Heap said...

Watch out! You could get hooked on theory.