Sunday, September 28, 2008

a1 and Renewed Concern

Since the beginning of the term, I've gained a deeper understanding of Zen and Zen practice. Now, I should replace the word "unease" with the more accurately representative word "concern".

I really liked the way a1 questions are structured. It was challenging, but not overly so. Q1 and Q2 challenged me in putting ideas in formal language. Q3 is a great question, I love the structure and the way it guides into an elegant proof.

At this point after finishing A1 (minus Q4), I feel a sense of accomplishment, and a new level of acuteness in my logical sense.

The honeymoon feeling is quickly over, such is the norm during the school-year. I'm not even sure I understand the definition of a ternary tree in a1Q4 yet, and recursion wasn't easy for me in 148 when I took it several years ago. But, that was the immature and irresponsible me several years ago, with a terrible work ethic.

I'm also slightly concerned about the structure of tests in 236. Sometimes insights to proofs come in seconds, sometimes several minutes, and sometimes sleeping on it works wonders. It all seems rather arbitrary. Will the test structure be able to accurately represent a student's level of understanding?

1 comment:

Danny Heap said...

I worry about the structure of csc236 tests, for the same reason. I want tests to "enforce" the assignments, in the sense that somebody would have to have understood assignments and problem sets to do well. However, a lot of things can go wrong in a short --- 50 minute --- test.